Frequently Asked Questions
What are the hours and days that the market is open?
Tuesday and Friday, 6:00am-4:00pm; Saturday, 6:00am-2:00pm
Where do I park when I come to Central Market?
- Lancaster City Parking Authority garage at W. Orange & N. Prince St. Shoppers may receive a $1.00 off coupon with a purchase.
- Parking lots in the first block of both W. King and N. Prince Streets. (fee)
- Metered on-street parking throughout the vicinity.
Is parking available for bus groups?
Yes. Call the Market Manager at (717) 572-6780 and she/he will arrange to meet the bus at the market, escort passengers to the market house then take the driver to a nearby parking area.
Who owns the Central Market Building?
The original open-air market, at least two market sheds and the current 1889 market house have all been owned and maintained by the City of Lancaster.
Who manages the market?
The Central Market Trust, a non-profit 501(c)3 organization, was formed in 2005. The Trust is composed of eleven community volunteers and the Market Manager and is charged with the day-to-day and long-range management of the market.
What are the long-range plans for the market?
Since its inception Central Market has been a source of fresh, local foods for the residents of Lancaster County. The goal is to grow and enhance this mission by providing a vibrant, welcoming venue for local farmers and others to sell their products to their friends and neighbors.
How do I learn about leasing a stand at Central Market?
- Speak with the Market Manager about the requirements for becoming a standholder.
- Request an application from the Market Manager or Administrative Assistant (717) 735-6890.
- Applications are reviewed by the Standholder Review Committee and potential standholders are contacted for follow-up.
Which stands have been at the market the longest?
The Stoner Family's Vegetable stand has been here the longest - well over 100 years. The Thomas Produce stand opened about 80 years ago and Long's Horseradish stand about 60 years ago. Many stands have been operated by two or more generations of the same family.
What is the job of the Market Manager?
The Market Manager (for centuries known as the Market Master) is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the market. He/she provides constant open lines of communication between the Central Market Trust, standholders and the shopping public. The Manager is always available during market hours to handle any problems and issues that may arise and to be a welcoming ambassador to every person who enters the market.